pursue stuff that matters

pursue stuff that matters
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

Sunday, April 3, 2011

I’m finally in therapy...

Stress can do you in. It’s sneaky business that can bushwhack you with elusive aches and pains that even Dr. Oz won’t tackle.

On a recent trip to Shoppers Drug Mart, for yet one more overpriced medical product to mask yet, one more embarrassing symptom, a pack of 24 crayons caught my eye. I was at a mental health crossroad: for a couple of bucks I could buy myself an art project or another tube of Preparation H.

Science tells us that when you feel like shit – pardon the segue— you need to find ways to decrease the level of stress hormones and increase your neurotransmitters and endorphins to feel better. And when I cracked open the crayola and instinctively took a whiff, I started sniffing like a glue head looking for a hit and knew I was on track. What a buzz! It was an instant sliding door back to a rainy afternoon in 1962 where I’m wearing my brother Louis’ horse and cowboy pajamas, sprawled out on the living room floor.

When I held those perfectly sharpened reds, blues, yellows, and began stroking waxy gritty rainbows, the tension in my neck and shoulders eased and was replaced with the knowing smile that cellular cravings were being miraculously satiated.

For colouring fans, there’s a Facebook page: “Eating Crayons!” http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eating-Crayons/102649674259 where members say: “Purple tastes like eggplant, and the pink ones taste like vagina.” And if you have a moment, read “Crayon Freak’s” blog, but be forewarned it sounds butt-painful. She’s a 35-year-old woman with four children with an advanced degree, who has been compulsively and secretly eating crayons for months and says, she’s not chewing the odd one; she’s eating an entire 64-count box. And doing it several times a week.

As I sat crossed legged on the floor, I admit a slight temptation: What if I mix pink with a little brown? Who knows, maybe a little wax will adhere to parts down-under. Either way, colouring offers opportunity. It is an elixir that allows JOY to leap off of Bristol board and say, YES choose me, CHOOSE happiness. And I do.

Happy colouring!

No comments: