pursue stuff that matters

pursue stuff that matters
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Break the rules: It’s Pasta Time!

“Sweetie, it is only two o’clock. Way too early for dinner,” he says, as tomato sauce simmers, water gently boils and I prepare dough for the cutter.

The afternoon sun streams through the kitchen windows, bringing spring’s hope and a sing-song that encourages breaking rules. Smiling, I wipe my floured hands on mom’s crocheted tea towel and crack open a dusty red, dark grape Syrah. He watches quietly as I transform egg and flour.

“Thin or fat noodles?” I ask, even though I already know the answer.   


One ball will generously feed four. I cut it into three and flattened each piece into ovals. The ovals are squeezed thin through rollers then cut into elongated fifteen inch lengths. It’s a magical process.


Simple foods; simple pleasures.






Within five minutes, the powder-white noodles take on their yolk colour and are perfectly cooked; filling our pasta bowl with steaming fat al dente spaghetti topped with a thick peppery sauce and grated cheese.





Fresh and organic; from flour to tomato, we chose well.





And through the making, cooking, talking, laughing, eating… we are once again, deliciously present.











Photos by Deb Cripps
www.tryoneofakind.ca
www.theloveoffood.ca 


1 comment:

Lauta said...

OMG that looks amazing - I love handmade pasta can we come of dinner next time you decide to make this lol