pursue stuff that matters

pursue stuff that matters
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

Friday, March 8, 2013

Cajole, persuade, stick-handle… you choose!


I love words. Especially those with P’s, R’s, and L’s - like POWERFUL. “S’s” are fine too. There is something playful about the way these letters roll off the tongue.

Words inspire. This week I heard Randy Bachman share a story about the first time Elvis heard the lyrics to his band’s song “Taking Care of Business”.  After listening to those words on the radio, Elvis wore the letters TCB on a gold chain from that day on.

Words manipulate. Like slick-lipped politicians and corporate leaders, we all, at times, use them to get our way; whether we’re trying to cajole a screaming toddler, persuade a reluctant lover or stick-handle a tough employer.

Marketers take note: if you are flogging beauty, health, retirement condos or spuds, I’m a sucker for words like “organic”  “joyful”  “authentic”.

If you are a reviewer for the New York Times best-seller list ttp://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/index.html just slide “beguiled” and “epic” onto the book jacket and I’ll have my Visa card out before you can say Lake Chaubunagungamaug.


I’ve read that Margaret Atwood’s favorite word is “And” because “It is so hopeful”, and President Obama's is "Grace". I am a keen boggler http://www.wordsplay.net/ and like Mel Gibson and Queen Elizabeth, I also enjoy a rousing game of scrabble. Words are fun and as Dr. Seuss said, "Fun is good!" So I had some fun and put all my words in a vessel

What words inspire you? 


No comments: